Sunday, 21 October 2012

Genesis

INTRODUCTION
Thank you for taking out some of your precious time to read...And I hope you will have fun while reading this as much as I had writing.

While naming this blog the purpose was to bring about a rationale to the numerous ads that we are exposed to everyday. My endeavour is to try to make my readers (assuming the readers are not from the ad/marketing world) analyse an ad as they would approach to analyse a typical statistical or a technical problem. I am sure you will understand and make more sense of this as you read on.

The thought of writing this blog came when my friend who is a complete geek (for me all non marketing/sales/advertising blokes are geeks) had a debate with me that the advertising industry was an easy industry to be a part of. All people there had to do was to listen to some music, watch some clips and create some 30 second movie (refer ad) or a static ad (refer print) with use of some colours and pictures, people or objects and some well written lines.

Well, after thinking through this I thought it was probably impossible to make him understand that there is a rationale, long hours of brainstorming to spark a thought process (some that may even take days or probably even weeks) that fires those visuals, the colours, the lines and the picture he sees for those 30 seconds. And probably the best of programmers wouldn't have such a hard time to crack a code than it was to build an advertisement that the masses can recall and the brand can enjoy it's target audience's loyalty!

So instead of trying to change his perception about the advertising world, I thought that the best way is to address the issue from a different angle. I said that there is a science behind an ad and you can tell if the ad you see makes sense (Read AD SENSE)  or no sense (read NONSENSE) not merely through judgement or gut feel but by a methodical process. I now had his attention as geeks love a rationale, a method to the madness they see. This serves a rather long introduction to the genesis of this blog.

Through this blog I will try and review some ads that my geek friend wants to crunch. I will do so through some tools and frameworks that I have been used to in my years of work as a marketing professional. I will also add a disclaimer that my verdict of ADSENSE or NONSENSE does not in any way intend to hurt the sentiments or the efforts of the team behind the ad. After all I am no geek!

I am using this blog to communicate that not only numbers but also an abstract form such as ads can be crunched.

Welcome to adcruncher.blogspot.com !





No comments:

Post a Comment